Friday, January 30, 2015



January 26, 2015




Good news! We don´t live with a cat lady anymore. Even more good news WE HAVE A WASHING MACHINE. For the first time in over a year I don´t have to wash my clothes in a bucket. We will only be in this house for a month so in the meantime we will continue our search for a new house and take advantage of the washing machine. I am loving my new area and Hermana Hafen. Go team.

With Hermana Hafen I feel like we are really working together. We are a team and she has the desires to just be obedient and work while having fun as we do it. We are just always in tune with the spirit and the lessons we have are great. I´m grateful for our companionship and for the companionship of the spirit.

We are given the promise that we will have the spirit with us, but actually having the spirit with us is a constant battle. One day Hermana Hafen and I went to visit some of our investigators. When we showed up to the house the grandma came out and told us that we weren't allowed to visit them. She then went on to tell us that ´´Mormons´´ are bad and that we don´t help anyone. We were very frustrated and hurt by just listening to her when we walked away.

After a couple minutes of walking Hermana Hafen said ´´ We don´t have the spirit. Should we pray?´´ (This is why I love her) So, we stopped behind a tree and said a prayer so that we would be able to continue working with the spirit. The spirit is EVERYTHING and without the spirit we are nothing. The spirit teaches the lessons and people and without the spirit the people we are teaching do not learn.

We felt better after the prayer and continued working. The next lesson we had a member take us to an inactive family. When we got to the house the brother was talking about his excuses of why he stopped going to church. He said that other people of shut of the light in his life. I felt like he was saying that others stopped him from having the spirit with him, but I know it´s not that way. We are in control of whether we have the spirit with us or not. When we don´t have the spirit we become confused and unstable and that´s when with fall into spiritual darkness.

This brother was living in spiritual darkness and we explained this to him using Alma 5:7. The spirit guided our words through the lesson and we analyzed this verse with him to help him understand. In the end of the lesson he said the prayer and his eyes filled with tears. Because we taught with the spirit we brightened up his understanding.

Many times the people we teach don´t have this spiritual light to guide them. We teach investigators who have never felt the light and we teach less active members who need help turning on this light again. I know that through the guidance of the Holy Ghost we can guide them to their Heavenly Father, but if we want to help others we have to have this light first.

That´s why I am so grateful for Hermana Hafen. She understands the importance of exact obedience so that we can work with the spirit and not against it. There´s a quote from Elder Ezra Taft Benson that says ´´When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power.´´ We seek to be obedient and we are a powerful companionship.

I am grateful for the spirit in my life and for spiritual experiences. I know that I have a loving Heavenly Father that has given me the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment