Wednesday, June 18, 2014

This past week went by so fast! We have changes next week so I´ll see what happens. I´ve been in Artigas for 3 months now with Hermana Jordan. We also have a BIG conference this week. It will be with ALL the missionaries in Uruguay and we will have the chance to listen to Elder Robbins! I´m very excited!
This week we had divisions with Hermana Olson & Petein. I had one of the best experiences of my whole mission.
Hermana Olson and I were walking from lesson to lesson one night, but when it hit 7:00 there was no one in the streets, and no one was answering. I had the idea to try to contact one of the references we had, but as we stood at the door with no luck I started looking around at the street. One house I knew had all the lights on. It was the house of an ex bishop of the ward. I began telling Hermana Olson about him. I didn´t have a lot the desire to visit though, because I knew many others had tried before and this was someone who knows the gospel in and out.
As I went on Hermana Olson stopped me and asked ¨do you want to visit him?¨. I replied with ¨Ummmm.... the only thing is I don´t know what I can teach him to help¨ She replied to me ¨ Hermana maybe it´s the spirit that brought him to your mind¨ We then started for the house! It was clear to me that with all the lessons falling through that´s what where we needed to be. Hermana Olson then asked me as I nervously got closer to the house ¨What lesson?¨ I then replied, looking for assurance from her ¨ 1.1???¨ Prepared to teach lesson 1.1, a little nervous, and with the confidence that we had the spirit, we entered the house.
The Hermano was very nice! Both him and his wife were grateful that they were able to sing a hymn with us. With the presence of the spirit strong we started the lesson and right off the bat, he told us exactly what his fear was. What struck me most though was his testimony of eternal families. He opened up quickly and began talking about how special it was to be sealed in the temple with his family forever! And as I sat there listening and praying to know what HE needed in that moment everything I had studied THAT morning came to my mind.
I had him pull out his scriptures, wipe the dust off of them, and we turned to Alma 22. In the chapter the missionary, Aaron is guided by the spirit to go and teach a king. I explained to the Hermano that I KNEW that the spirit guided us to his house. I also told him that I´m sure Aaron had a little bit of fear to go and teach a king and just as Aaron had fear, I had fear to come to his house. I went on to explain that in the story the king started talking about what he desired most just as the Hermano talked about his desires to have an eternal family. As the spirit guided me, we went on to read the story.
We started in 16 and read the first part and just as Aaron said the king ¨ if you desire...¨ I asked the Hermano ¨ Hermano, what do you desire?¨ It took a while to get it out of him, but he finally said that more than anything he wanted an eternal family. After responding we followed in 16 and it says¨ if thou wiltbow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest.¨
Then with the spirit pounding inside me I said ¨ Hermano if you desire to have an eternal family, what do you need to do?¨
He knew exactly what he needed to do. I was so nervous to go to his house, but I know every step was guided by the spirit. It´s INCREDIBLE how the spirit can lead and guide. I have an overwhelming amount of love for this family, because the spirit testified to me of the love our Heavenly Father has for them. I think the key to being a successful missionary or even being successful in life is listening to the spirit. And because it is the ¨key¨, it is ever so hard to do. The adversary will attack so we don´t listen. I know when this family came to my mind, it was the spirit. I also know when I thought ¨ No, I don´t know what to teach them¨ It was the adversary. I am so grateful that Hermana Olson helped me listen better.
The gospel is so true. I know there is POWER in the scriptures when we study them daily, I know that in them there are DAILY answers. I know that this IS the work of the Lord. I am so grateful that he has the confidence in me to do this work and help those around me come to know him better. I know that this gospel is true and I love it with all my heart.
Love, Hermana Baca

No comments:

Post a Comment